Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Really RED Week

   I was very happy to find one of my favorite colors in the Summer Of Color Challenge this week so I got to work on two projects that I luckily completed Mon. That was the same day more red came into my life quite unexpectedly. All I wanted to do was slice and chop  my last bit ( a tomato) for tacos for dinner. And then that darned Cutco knife decided to take a bit of my finger with it-ugh!!! Amazing how much a small thing can bleed. So I held on tight with a paper towel and had hubby drive me to the drugstore to get some things to wrap it up. I'd worked in the healthcare field many years so of course I figured I could take care of it myself. It started to look that way anyway. The night went OK, no more bleeding under the wrap and luckily my finger didn't swell much (my wedding ring finger with the rings still on. Next AM I had to soak my finger to get the last bandaid off. Once that happened the blood began gushing. I thought poor hubby was going to pass out so I sent him away and called on my Mom to take me right to the urgent care center. ( I was supposed to be picking her up and taking her out for the day for her birthday). It took two special wrappings and attempts to stop the bleeding but finally I was able to leave with this:





 The smiley face was done in blood with a tiny brush I had in my purse.   NOT! I used a permanent marker:) Turns out my doc had sliced a bit off one of her fingers one time so she understood. Said I was lucky I didn't need my rings cut away nor did I have to have skin grafting done (so far). And it IS on my left hand and NOT my middle finger. So, it could always have been worse. Thurs. AM had to go back for a dressing change. Took awhile to soak all the dressings off but it finally came loose and thankfully it's beg. to heal. All I need to do is continue cleaning and redressing it thru Sun. then I can just use a bandaid. Whew.

  And so, for the art part...

  Still thinking of the Toulouse Lautrec exhibit I mentioned seeing in this post. Swirled some red and yellow paints ((Kristin's Summer Of Color challenge colors this week are Candy Apple Red and Yellow) on the page then added some ephemera I had in one of my stash boxes. Sentiment stamp is UM from Stampland. 

  An this is my second project for the color theme:

  This is a wood based house 2 1/2" x 4".   Products used: house shape (Michael's); red acrylic paint (Golden's); vintage image (ARTchix Studio); bird sticker (Paper House); yellow ribbon (QVC); paper flower (Recollections); red rhinestone; black pen (Signo uni-ball); photo holders and black wire (JoAnne's); dotted ribbon (Michael's).

  I'm linking these up to Twinkle Twinkle's Summer of Color, Art Journal Every Day, Inspiration Avenue (theme is words), Glue It Tuesday at Artsyville, and Paint Party Friday.

  One more thing using the color red :) A few weeks ago I read  this post by Jane LaFazio about having your blog published into a book. She shared some of her wonderful pages. I was intrigued and checked out the site she used Blog2Print. And I did it! Easy peasy! You can pick your cover, photo for cover and back cover, title, format photo size and then they do the rest. You can preview it first and if you don't like something such as the cover or photo sizes you can edit and redo before paying for the final print. Now mind you, it can get expensive but I figured mine would be reasonable since I wanted to print my first year and I only posted once or twice a week. I even got 15% off and I am THRILLED with my book! Thought I'd share a few pages:

Front cover:

 I wasn't concerned about a pristine photo. This is a journal page I actually edited and use as one of my business cards.

 Back cover:

First Post page:



More page samples:


And I was compelled to write this dedication :


It's why I decided to do this and the first year was very special to me :) Oh-my book size is 8 1/2" x 11" and 133 pgs.

Will be in touch soon. Have a beautiful weekend!

                                     "As you walk your way through life,
                                        Let this ever be your goal,
                                       Keep your eye upon the doughnut
                                        And not upon the hole."     Anonymous

50 comments:

  1. What a great post, your red and yellow house is gorgeous. Thanks for the link , your blog printed looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your response to the red prompt is fabulous Linda. ...and your blog book is inspiring. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post, lovely work, and hope that finger is soon better! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of words! Hope your finger heals fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous artwork, as always, Linda! Sure hope your finger heals quickly and with no more complications. What a bummer - I'm glad you got to the E.R.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me start with the lovely SOC artwork first and leave the other for the moment. Your red and yellow Parisian picture is perfect, full of the gaiety of the period (for some people, of course!). And I love your charming red and yellow house.
    Your book looks awe-inspiring, what a good idea.
    I'm so sorry you had such a bad time with the finger, even thinking of it makes me have shivers and knee trembles. Only an artist would draw a smiley face on the bandage. Hope it heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you made this week. The finger story almost made me pass out! I did love what you said about drawing the face in blood. You had me going for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! First, I am so sorry about your poor finger! Thank heavens it is healing now. Hope all will be well, Linda! And, I have to tell you how much I LOVE your RED art!!! These are simply gorgeous! So is your blog book, love it. I will have to check it out...! Have a great weekend, kath

    ReplyDelete
  9. xo
    So sorry you hurt yourself! I'm glad it's all taken care of now and congratulations on your new blog book! I have always wanted to do that too ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post and I hope, your finger is getting better! Your Toulouse Lautrec Exhibition work is wonderful, with his oldfashioned look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful work on the SOC theme, but so sorry to hear about your poor finger, it is maddening when that happens, I am usually rushing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry, Linda you hurt yourself. Scary thing to know how easy one can get hurt in the kitchen. Get better soon, dearest.

    LOVE the Burlesque page!!. Felt like dancing :). And, yay ... what a neat idea to have your blog published in a book!.

    ReplyDelete
  13. loving your wonderful projects and hope that finger is healing OK...that was nasty. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Linda, I am so glad your finger is healing. I would not have been as calm as you. I would have been more like your husband, ready to pass out.

    Your work is great. I always love seeing the variety of things you create each week. I really like the idea of having my blog printed into a book. Your book looks awesome.

    Thank you for always leaving such nice comments on my blog. I always look forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your red and yellow page. Very French! Wow, what an episode with the finger! Sometimes the fingers take long to heal. I remember years ago a glass doorknob broke and cut my finger. I was due at work so I just wrapped it up and left. Of course, it really was worse than I thought and I had to go to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope your finger continues to heal well. Love the work this week and great idea to have the book done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your art here is beautiful - so full of whimsy and style! So sorry about your finger though- take care!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ouch! i am sending thoughts for a quick healing. very funny face, though. your work this week is fun. i especially like the Toulouse Lautrec inspired piece and how you used your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You truly had a week filled with red, Linda. I'm glad to hear your finger is healing properly and hope your husband has recuperated from the shock. I love both your pieces, especially that sweet little house you made. The color combination and the imagery are fantastic. As to your book, I think that's the coolest idea! What a great way to preserve all your artwork and writings. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh so sorry about your finger....eeks that looks painful!! On another note...my wedding rings from 1973 look almost identical to yours.... I replaced the diamond with an amethyst for my daughter once I was divorced. I put the diamond in another ring...but it's so similar....and I love your heart ring and would have bought it had I seen it!!

    Your artwork is beautiful and love the blog to print book...I have them sending me things in the mail since Kelly Rae recommended it! I have to pick through my blog since its 7 years old!!

    Thanks for sharing, heal quickly and keep that cut covered up!!
    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh no your poor finger..I remember sewing through mine and having to slowly rewind the needle on my machine. love your arty pieces and blog book

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a story Linda, I hope your finger is better now. Well done you brave woman and I can see that finger accident was really inspiring to you :). Lovely red and happy creations. Have a magical and creative week. Much love to you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Linda. Awesome work. Nicely done. Blog to print is where I have my books published. I've always used them and I do my books in red too.:) In fact, I'm waiting on my book from the beginning of the year to June 30th. Happy PPF and SOC

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful art work and so glad your finger is on the mend ~ (Mercury is in Retrograde) crazy things happen ~
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your pieces and your post! Glad to hear your finger is doing better - what an awful end to a meal!
    I've used Blog2 print as well and love the idea of seeing my first year in print.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love love love your little red and yellow house, so pretty and sweet and you used the colors perfectly! The book is great, too!
    Hope your finger is healing well! Lol the smiley painted with blood! <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. liked your collaged house, cute
    nagaonkarshilpa.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well the art part is great, but gosh, your poor finger. At least you have a sense of humor about it, painting in blood, NOT. LOL Hope it heals soon. xox

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your Bonton Paris page and that sweet, cheery little house! How cool to print your own book!! Take care of that finger! Owie!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pieces, hope your finger heals quickly.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful pieces, despite your injury! Hope everything is stuck back on firmly and you're recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yup, you did have red week. Hope your finger feels better and nice art.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great post i love your SoC house. I hope your finger heals quickly. You had me going for a while when you said you painted the smiley face with blood!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love both of your SOC projects this week, so sorry to hear about the finger but you could have added yellow to the bandage as well to keep up with the challenge - LOL. Thanks you for your comment on my dandelion page too. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  35. Aw, sounds painful and I can totally relate. I once sliced a piece of my (middle)finger while hurriedly trying to cut some cards to size before a market. I still remember my time at the doctors the next day trying to get the bandage off. Ugh! Your SOC-pieces look great, good thing you got it done before your finger-accident ... And your blogbook looks fantastic! Will check out that site, thnx for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  36. The blog to print is so wonderful isn't it? that is what i handed in as my Dissertation (at the beginning it was a Spiritual Blog with the intention of being my Metaphysical Dissertation for my Ph.D (D.Min.) I am SO sorry Linda for your finger. My oh my the challenges are coming your way with your cold, then your poor little digit. I was so scared when I saw the face in blood (joke) and thought I should share your post on my other blog (shadowsideart.blogspot.ca) lol It seemed the most "dark" of anything I'd done lol. We are SO bad for treating ourselves once we've worked in a hospital eh? I am so glad you called your "mommy!' They are the best. Husbands...meh! Mine passed out when I was in labour with my second and they put in the Hepron Clip (totally useless!!!!) lol so I called my Shiatsu Therapist and he was in the bed next to me (I hated him!) gave me someone to scream at during labour lol lol! Your red art is absolutely fantastic - all of it! I love how you picked a color (to match your injury!) I love the variations and that you did show the blog-2-print is really good in order to help others to know about this great option. I also gave one to my mom (who never has time to read my blog and 1/2 the time doesn't understand what the heck I am chirping on about anyway) for her birthday! They are expensive, but hey, less than our art supplies! Be well with that little smiley face. Lovies, Samara

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wonderful post Linda.

    You have been so busy again even with a poorly finger :)

    I especially love the sweet little hanging.

    How nice to see your blog published!

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome works of art! I love every single one of them. They are so creative and beautiful! I love how you used this week's colors. And I hope your finger heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love all that colourful, happy art. But what a shock it must have been to suddenly see blood added to the mix (even though it fitted the colour schene!). Glad to hear the finger is on the mend.
    I have had my blog printed by them too. Now do it for the entire year at the end od December. Love having that whole book of a year of my life to leaf through.

    ReplyDelete
  40. love all the red this week and hope your finger is feeling much better soon! HPPF and SOC!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Glad I didn't faint out of my chair reading about your cut dear Linda ... swoonnnn
    Love your sweet house and how interesting to read about your blog book that you had made...very special and I could not be more pleased that you are in blogland sharing what you are creating and inspiring so many of us ♥
    Take care of your finger ... hope it heals quickly
    Happy Weekend and Bastille Day!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are just beautiful! I love the vintage feel and flare with color! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh No! I got sliced on a Cutco knife when I reach to put another piece of silverware in the dishwasher. Now all Cutco knives go in blade down! Your other red projects this week are fab! I love the little birdhouse. How cool to have the first year of your blog as a memory book. I am off this week to The Clearing Folk Art School in Door County, WI Have a good week. Thank you for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  44. That was some adventure that you'd with your knife. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Your collage and the wood house look great but I love that 'blog' book. What a great idea to see our art in pages!! Thank you so much for sharing the link, will be taking a look at it.
    Thank you for your birthday wishes.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wonderful art! I'm glad your little encounter with the knife has a happy ending - that bandage is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have saved that link about turning your blog into a book. Looks fabulous!!

    Love what you did with the colours, especially given your injury. I am glad it is beginning to heal. They can bleed like buggery!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm loving your art! :) I'm so sorry about your finger. Hope it heals quickly. I've been looking into that blog to print thing and I tried it for fun but it says I have too much stuff so I need to make two books. Lol! Now I have to edit and I don't know when I'll feel like doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love your art, so pretty. And your blog book looks great, I'll have to check the site out. Thank you for the link. Hope your finger is better!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love your book! I need to do something like that--I'm working on one for a friend who adopted from Kazakhstan several years ago--but got tangled up because the photos she sent via landline internet were so small--

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!