Thursday, July 25, 2013

Going Into August

  Oh why does the summer seem to fly by faster than any other season???? But finally my beach vacation is quickly approaching so I will be taking a little break from blogging after this post. Here's a little variety of projects I recently completed.

  First up is a bridal shower card I created for a friend. Her colors are black, white and silver.

   Products: textured white card stock, silver card stock (The paper Cut); white flower embellishments (Recollections); black paper flowers (Michael's); black crochet lace (vintage find); Versafine Onyx Black ink (Tsukineko); clear UM stamp-Mega Mixed Messages set (Papertrey Ink); Grand Calibur die cut machine and Impressabilities Flourish Embossing Plate (Spellbinders); pearl sticker (Queen & Co.).

  I'm also sharing my August calendar spread for Kate Crane's 2013 Calendar Challenge:




  Brushed Americana baby Blue and Golden fluid Acrylic in Cerulean Blue over top section of pages. I then added dots of acrylic paints (Americana Moon Yellow and Raw Sienna;  My Studio Dark Yellow; Folk Art Fresh Foliage) across the lower half of the pages and used a credit card to scrape and move the paints around. The credit card edge was used with Raw Sienna to create "reeds". I had seen something similar done quite awhile ago on Jill Berry's blog and loved that the colors reminded me of a beach scene.


 I prepared the pages using images and words from ARTchix Studio and numbers and lettering using several stamp sets.

 This is just a simple little journal page I did prompted by one of the Summer of Color 2013 color combos (aqua and pale yellow) which weren't chosen. I decided to continue to challenge myself even though this challenge is officially over. We'll see how many I get through :).


   I had this gelli plate print photo of myself (you can read more about some gelli plate print techniques in this post) lying in the stash of papers and they were the right colors so I worked from that. The watercolor journal page was dry brushed with aqua, light yellow and white acrylic paints after gluing down my print. I added some words from an envelope of magazine clippings I have along with a scrap of aqua tissue paper, some leftover aqua vellum stickers (circles), and a butterfly sticker.

  Here's the last journal spread I'm leaving you with:


  For the background I scraped yellow, then orange, then turquoise acrylics over the page allowing each color to dry before adding the next. Did some mark making with a scrap of corrugated cardboard, bottle caps and sequin waste with white acrylic paint.I stamped the red dots using acrylic paint and a stamp from Dylusions Basic Backgrounds set. I had this extra beach photo lying around so I glued it to the page then went over areas of it with some of the background paints to blend it in a bit. Added some spatters of black spray ink along with a piece of Smash Book washi tape. I printed the words over the photo digitally.

  Linking up to Art Journal Every Day, Creative Every Day, Mandarin Orange Monday, 2013 Calendar Challenge, and Paint Party Friday. I'll try and get around to visit as many as I can before packing and leaving. I will have some computer access but am limiting myself drastically during my break in order to soak up as much fun in the sun as I can with my friends!

  See you in August!

       "The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination and brings eternal joy to the soul."  Wyland

43 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Linda, all of it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joyful summery post!

    I love your calendar pages and especially the journal page 'on my way to the beach' - such perfect colours - it's just so happy!

    Hope you have a brilliant holiday

    See you when you get back!

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of your creations, Linda! That card is so very elegant. Love your calendar pages and the journal page using your photo is fabulous.

    Enjoy your vacation - sun, sand and sea - what more could one need for a great getaway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Linda,
    Yay for you! I am so glad to hear you are off to the beach soon : )
    Your art work here is fab! I love your classy shower card. The journal page for August is perfect with your foliage at the bottom and bright blue sky! And your beach page too! Wow! You are having so much fun!
    Happy vacation : )
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazingly beautiful Linda!! Card and journal just wow....lovely creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always inspire me with the variety of projects that you come up with. That card looks so elegant, Your friend is so lucky to receive it. I love love your beach journal page, it's a colorful, bright and happy page. Now I want to go to the beach too:)Have a great break Yes, even I agree once in a while we need to take a break from technology too.
    SusaN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of great projects Linda, have a smashing time at the beach, Happy PPF, hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda that card is gorgeous, just love it!! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear and beautiful Linda, have a lovely, restful, sunny, creative and inspiring time on the beach. Fantastic art works, I love summery colours and lovely compositions packed with sun, happiness and love. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your beautiful card and pages, enjoy your beach Vaca, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fabulous projects, enjoy the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great post, Linda. Lots of wonderful art to enjoy! The calendar pages are just fantastic. I love how the reeds in brown just "made" the background scene. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pages. Lovely card. You are busy, time for the beach.:) Have a great weekend. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your work, great idea to carry on with the colour choices at SOC. My choices were never picked, so might do what you are doing. Thanks for the idea. As you read on my post at Art Inspires you have won 2 postcards, so if you would like to choose 2 from my postcard page and email me with your choices and your snail mail address at sharonrevans@xtra.co.nz I will get them into the post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful cornucopia of work! Have a great time at the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me back again. Just emailed your address on your profile, hope that gets through!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful colourful pages! wonderful work and enjoy your beach holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful creations this week Linda...love the one with you that says Happy!! Have a wonderful holiday...love the beach!


    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! ~ all very lovely ~ the first one is very elegant ~ all very creative ~ Enjoy your vacation! ~ Thanks ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all of your work Linda especially the last journal page. Have a wonderful time at the beach. There is no better place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You had some fun stuff going on this week. I especially like your card and the last two art journal pages. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great pieces! You make the most exquisite cards, I love the black and white! The beach looks very fresh and tempting! <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely pieces, Linda. I love that you're continuing to do the colour combos from the SOC challenge. I hope you have a fantastic holiday at the beach. X

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful compositions for your diary August!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lots of fun creativity dear Linda!
    The gelli print page of you is especially wonderful!
    Excited and happy for you to get away to the beach...ahhh twinkling sand between your toes and more!
    Enjoy ♥ Enjoy
    and
    I can hardly believe that July is almost ended!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Have a blast! No, don't turn the computer! I never do when I go out :oD
    I LOVE the pages even before the calendar design, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have fun on your holidays, hope you get time for your art!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the happy feeling your work gives me:) Great series!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your backgrounds are wonderful - I especially love the one which became a calendar page. So lovely and beachy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My niece's whole wedding retinue was in black and white and I found it a bit harsh. Your art is lovely. Happy PPF friend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Each piece is so unique and lovely. I especially love the calender, the colors are soothing and those vintage gals, well I just love them :) Enjoy your beach holiday! Isn't summer just the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so happy for you Linda, getting away to the beach!
    I love the gelli plate pic of you and totally intrigued how to do it. I will be looking at your instructions. The August page is SO cool! I love how it turned into a calendar. Very neat that you showed it before it was the calendar - such an appreciation for how it began. And the wedding card, how lovely that you made your card to match their colors. That was just your kind of thoughtful!!! Enjoy your holiday. I will be thinking of you on that sandy beach with the cool water! Take care, Samara

    ReplyDelete
  33. I found your blog through your link with Glue it Tuesday. I enjoyed your digital photos and calendar page for August. I am new to blogging and wanted to create a list of books that have helped me on my journey much like the list you have in your blog. How did you create it? Please share your steps as I have been try to figure it out and haven't been successful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful series of paintings - they look awesome and make feel like beginning again. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  35. Really love the background of the calendar page! It reminds me of a field full of grass and flowers, cows grazing :-)
    I too thought of using the colour combinations of the SOC!
    Happy PPF
    Ilona xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Linda, these are so much beautiful colors in your art! Each one Shows summertime pure and I love this. Late HPPF and a wonderful week - Erika

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love those backgrounds! You put them to good use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have come back again to thank you for your lovely comment and the happy, summery image you shared on MoM. Thank you again for being part of Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Have a wonderful holiday. thank you for leaves such beautiful work behind Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your new works this week, but especially the SOC-piece. That's a beautiful colourcombination, and I love how you used that gelliprint. Enjoy your beach-vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your wonderful calendar and the fun and bold piece on the bottom...so promising ;) wish you an wonderful time in your holiday ♥ Conny
    http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sorry I am so late in commenting,Linda. I am sure by this time you are enjoying your vacation. The wedding card is lovely and the journaling pages so much fun. It is interesting to see all the pieces that you used named. Thank you for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!