Friday, July 19, 2013

Journal Pages and Digital Play

   For those of you experiencing the extreme heat and humidity of summer the last few weeks I hope you are able to cool off a bit whether it be in AC or a pool! Right now (as I'm typing the draft for this posting) it is 1:20PM 95 degrees F with a heat index of 105 degrees F. It wouldn't be so bad if the air was dry and not so humid! And we haven't had any rain for a respite either. So what's a girl to do? Stay inside and make art of course :).

  The word/tag for the month of July in my 52 Weeks of Creative Abundance course is "trust". This is my journal spread and tag:

  For the background I used Stone Gray Staz-On ink and an old script stamp (Love to Stamp) repeatedly over the pages. Gesso and Pineapple acrylic paint (Americana) was dry brushed over that. Quinacridone Magenta (Liquitex) was then lightly brushed on two opposite corners and Stone gray ink was sponged through stars sequin waste on the other two edges. The tag was already colored-leftover from mopping up color from other projects. Sewed edges, added letter and butterfly stickers and ribbon. The collage card and bird are from ARTchix Studio. I typed up a sentence Christi had written in our weekly lesson and once glued in place I outlined it with a black pen. I circled the word "trust' with Buttercup Liquid Pearls (Ranger).

  This is the inside back cover of a different journal I finished (well, almost. There are still a few pages unfinished and when the mood strikes me I'll get to them). I love having a bunch of different journals in different sizes to play in!

  Painted a frame around the pg with a teal acrylic paint and filled in with orange. Glued part of an envelope with postage (sent to me by family in France-I save them all). Added some gesso around portions to blend it in the page. Added two found ticket stubs and magazine image. Words stamped with two alphabet sets and Jet Black Staz-On ink. 

 I mentioned in my previous post  about how Lori (Mandarin Orange Monday challenge host) had me so inspired with all her fun digital manipulations for the challenge each week. I began to tread lightly last week and this week I took a bit more time to explore more possibilities with PSE and a simple photo. This sis SO much fun!!!

 Took this photo of my gorgeous blooming hydrangea bush which is full of blooms this year! I think I finally figured out the pruning thing :).


Digital manipulation 1. I used an orange fill layer first then under the layer tab at right (I have PSE 10) I chose "lighten" and changed the opacity to 85%. Under the "Effects" tab( top right) I chose "brushstrokes". Changed the opacity to 39%. Back to effects tab and added "glowing edges".

Digital manipulation 2:

 For this one I began with the orange fill layer. Added  "lighten" from layers tab and changed opacity to 85%. Under effects tab I chose "stained glass". I am loving this and there is SO much more to play around with!

 Photo close up of one of our yew trees:






 Added digital manipulation:



  I used a vibrant orange/red fill layer. Under effects tab I chose "find edges". Under layer tab I chose "difference" and kept the opacity at 100%. Awesome!!!

  One more. This is a photo of a cemetery building I took in France:

 I changed this photo to black and white.

 And this is more orange play:

   Began with orange fill layer. In the effects tab I went to "brushstrokes" and chose "ink outlines". From there I went into "layers" and chose "multiply".  Now for all you digital art savvy folks I know I'm still in kindergarten, but color me happy!  

  Linking up  to Art Journal Every Day ( I hear Julie Fei Fan Balzer, the host, is going to have  lots of new stencils to premier at the next CHA :), Creative Every Day, Glue It Tuesday, Mandarin Orange MondayPaint Party Friday, Show and Tell Saturday. I'll be looking for you at one or more of these places.

  "Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement." Golda Meir


40 comments:

  1. These digital pieces are so clever- I mean you are so clever. Yes, we are sweltering too and no acs using fans. Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your TRUST journal pages, so many beautiful layers of color and images, they work together perfectly! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beuatiful journal page Linda, with the bird, yello/grey backgroundand the pink! It really speaks to me. And I love seeing you explore PS more! The digital manipulation 1 with the hydrangea and the brushstrokes filter is my favorite :)
    waving hi! I am glad you are taking to the cool indoors and doing a little extra art. I dusted off my blogspot blog and plan to use it again, while not giving up on my tumblr blog (use it for some things). xoxox It is easier for me to find you smiling at me in my side bar of my blogspot blog, yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really exquisite compositions, the combination of tones and colors is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your work is gorgeous Linda.
    Especially love the 2 journal pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is precious and magnificent. Happy PPF and hugs from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful journal pages above, Linda. I love the tag. And your digital "paintings" are great. I think playing with digital pieces is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your art journal pages, but I am particularly smitten by your digital alterations this week. I LOVE the contrast you achieved in the photograph of your beautiful yew tree. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, really delicate flowers and beautiful colors in these wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful journal pages Linda and have enjoyed your digital works, loving those fab flowers, Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your awesome journal pages Linda and really am impressed by your digital work. Very nice. Thanks
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful journal pages and fun photography and great shots too ~ So creative ~ Happy Weekend ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photo page, I love the bird. . . . my all time faves. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is beautiful, Linda! Love your journal pages.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh These are beautiful Linda! Both your journal page and the digital work! Inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the bird page with the face on the bird..great digi pieces too

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely journal pages and the photos look like great fun to do. Who would have thought you can do so much with one photo
    Have a great week.
    Von

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many pretties!! I especially love the first manipulation of the hydrangeas--the flowers just really pop from the photo, and the cemetery shot--very cool in orange!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, isn't it amazing all the things you can do digitally!? It's a bit addictive even .... Thanks for explaining how you did it! Love your journalspread, and especially the inside back cover. lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The journal pages are so lovely. I really like the digitals too.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a plethora of amazing work this week!! Love the yew tree in all it's digital color edits..wow terrific and your wonderful journal page/tag for trust...also gorgeous!! Wow I have the same hydrangeas in my yard. Love the building manipulation too.. Thanks for sharing this fun work!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lot of great pieces you're creating. It's good to try different tools & mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  23. your journal pages are so colourful and the digital alterations are very clever! It's funny how you stay indoors in that heat - we get so little sun here that as soon as it appears (like the last couple of days have been scorching) we head out to sunbathe (and get burnt!) because we don't know when it might disappear again!! No art for me today - I'm off out to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the journal pages!!! We finally got a small break in the humidity and heat today...but it will be back soon. Even a tad bit of rain with more in the forecast and we so need it. I haven't done anything with the digital photo editing... I have the programs thanks to Hubs but haven't played with them yet .

    ReplyDelete
  25. Morning Linda...... thank you for a lovely start to my week with this beautiful post!

    I love these pages so much and the rather special message (I've made a note of it and the inspiring quote at the the bottom of the post)

    It's great fun to see your 'colour play' - keep it up!

    Hope you have a wonderful week

    Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous work Linda!Hugs from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am amazed Linda by your digital colour changes! Those flowers are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the colorful tag with the trust buttons you put on the page and the cute bird with a real face ♥ Conny
    http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great colour and mood in your orange play! Thank you for sharing on Mandarin Orange Monday:)
    And have a wonderful beach vacation! I look forward to seeing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely pages, and I really enjoy seeing your digital playing as well. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What beautiful journal pages! And I really love your PS work, good job!
    Thanks for visiting me and leaving a kind comment!
    Cheers
    Gabriele 5

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oooh, it's all so pretty! You have such eye candy here ;)
    Thank you for your sweet comment and for all that you did with the SOC this year. I LOVED having you play along and LOVE the idea of you continuing with the color prompts not chosen. I too am looking forward to having you play next year and will definitely keep in touch until then. Thank you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful journal pages. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your Trust page. I really like that quote. I am currently working on the "open to their validity" part. <3

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful work! Love both you art journal pages and digital work.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your journal pages are so beautiful! I love the background and the pink borders, and of course the little bird! A wonderful trust page :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh these are beautiful! i love gardening... so i love how you used that in your art. love the first manipulation of your hydrangea!! i just planed my first hydrangea plant this year! i would love to extend an invitation to another creative link up called 'in the studio'! :) {http://jeremynjenprice.blogspot.com/2013/07/in-studio-studio-jru-week.html)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your artwork is so beautiful and versatile - you're so talented! Best wishes - Shroo:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!